It is normal for the mixture of things you put in your disposal bins to go foul and reek and make your home stink like a dump. Trash is always smelly, but you can minimize the odour from your disposal bins if you follow these tips.
- Use proper trash disposal methods
The first thing you need to do if you want to reduce the trashy smell from your garbage is to segregate the garbage. It is not a good idea to bundle up all the household waste into one disposal bin because the different odours will mingle into one highly unpleasant smell. There are four groups into which you can separate your trash, and these would require you to have four mini bins.
- Waste paper products:these include dry paper things like old files and cardboard, product packaging and office paper which can be shredded and then taken to the recycle center.
- Non-biodegradable recyclable waste: these include items like plastic bottles, aluminium cans and other non-biodegradable items that can be put together and sent to recycling facilities.
- Biodegradable waste: kitchen waste like leftover food, vegetable peelings and rotting food mustalways be put separately. It would be nice if you could turn them into a compost for your garden. If you must dispose of them however, be sure to drain out any liquid (as much as you can), put them into a container that has a seal (like a plastic grocery bag) and then dump them as soon as you can into the garbage disposal bin.
- Garbage: you can put anything else here and deposit them in the garbage disposal bin.
Immediately after emptying the trash bins, clean them out thoroughly to remove any odours and to prevent a buildup of nasty smells.
- Make use of odour absorbers
Some common household supplies are good at absorbing the odours from your disposal bins.
- Cat litter:sprinkle some cat litter inside your disposal bins to absorb liquid and odours.
- Baking soda: scatter some of that inside the garbage bags and into the trashin the disposal bins.
- Charcoal:this helps filter theodours when you add it to the bins.
- Dry coffee grounds: make sure the coffee grounds are well dried and add them to the bottom of the bin.
- Baking soda with vinegar and lemon juice: this mixture can be used to scrub down trash cans between take outs.
- Mask the smell with a stronger odour
Things you can use to mask the odour of stinky trash include vanilla extract, citrus peels, tea leaves and coffee grounds. It helps to leave them in the bin overnight. This absorbs and overshadows the bad odour from the trash.
Using any of these tips, or combining them all, will guarantee that odours from your trash are greatly reduced or completely eliminated.
Dump-Squad is one of the fastest growing disposal bin rental, dumpster rental, mini bin rental and junk removal company in Toronto, Ontario. We hope you have enjoyed reading this article and can take something away from it. In the event you are looking to hire any junk removal services or garbage bin rentals in the Toronto area, please feel free to contact us at any time!